4. Baskins Creek Falls
Baskins Creek Falls is a hidden gem in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, located just a short distance from Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It is a two-tiered waterfall with a total drop of 40 feet, and it is surrounded by lush vegetation and towering trees.
The hike to Baskins Creek Falls is 3 miles round-trip and is considered to be moderately challenging. The trail begins with a short ascent, followed by a long descent to the falls. The trail is well-maintained and well-marked, but it is important to wear sturdy shoes and bring plenty of water.
Once you reach the falls, you can take a break and enjoy the scenery. The falls are especially beautiful in the spring and fall, when the leaves are changing color. You can also swim in the pool at the bottom of the falls, but be careful of the slippery rocks.
Here are some additional tips for visiting Baskins Creek Falls:
- The best time to visit is during the week or early in the morning, as the trail can get crowded on weekends and holidays.
- Be sure to check the weather forecast before you go, and avoid hiking if there is a chance of rain or thunderstorms.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks, as there are no facilities on the trail.
- Wear sturdy shoes and clothing that you don't mind getting wet.
- Be respectful of the wildlife and plant life in the park.
How to get to Baskins Creek Falls
The trailhead for Baskins Creek Falls is located on the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, about 11 miles south of Gatlinburg.
- To get to the trailhead, take US 441 south to Gatlinburg.
- Turn right onto East Parkway and left onto Cherokee Orchard Road.
- Continue to the left when the road ends and meets with Historic Nature Trail.
- Hang to the right at the fork in the road, which begins a one-way loop. Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail will be 0.9 miles down the loop on the right.
- The trailhead for Baskins Creek Falls will be on your left after driving roughly 0.2 miles on this one-way loop road.
Things to do near Baskins Creek Falls
In addition to visiting Baskins Creek Falls, there are a number of other things to do in the area. Here are a few suggestions:
- Visit the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, a 5.5-mile one-way loop road that winds through the mountains and offers stunning views.
- Hike to Rainbow Falls, another popular waterfall in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Visit the Gatlinburg SkyLift Park, which offers panoramic views of the Smoky Mountains.
- Explore the shops and restaurants in downtown Gatlinburg.
- Visit Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies, which features over 10,000 sea creatures from around the world.
Baskins Creek Falls is a beautiful and secluded waterfall in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is a great place to visit if you are looking for a challenging hike and a chance to see some of the best scenery in the Smokies.