1. Place of a Thousand Drips
The Place of a Thousand Drips is a unique and beautiful waterfall located in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, just outside of Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It is one of only two waterfalls in the park that can be driven to, making it a popular destination for visitors of all ages and abilities.
The waterfall is named for its unique appearance, which is a result of the water flowing over a series of rock ledges and crevices, creating a cascading effect of thousands of small waterfalls. The flow of the waterfall varies depending on the time of year, but it is at its best after a good rain.
To get to the Place of a Thousand Drips, take the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. This one-way road is a scenic drive in and of itself, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains and forests. The waterfall is located near the end of the loop, and there is a small pull-off area where you can park and get out to take a closer look.
From the pull-off area, you can walk down a short path to get a better view of the waterfall. You can also take a short hike to the top of the falls, where you will be rewarded with even more amazing views.
Here are some tips for visiting the Place of a Thousand Drips:
- The best time to visit is after a good rain, when the flow of the waterfall is at its best.
- If you are visiting during the summer months, be sure to wear sunscreen and insect repellent.
- The trail to the waterfall is short and easy, but it can be slippery after rain. Be sure to wear sturdy shoes.
- If you are hiking to the top of the falls, be sure to bring water and snacks.
- The Place of a Thousand Drips is a popular tourist destination, so it is best to visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the crowds.
Here are some additional fun facts about the Place of a Thousand Drips:
- The waterfall is fed by Roaring Fork Creek, which is a tributary of the Little Pigeon River.
- The Place of a Thousand Drips is one of the most popular waterfalls in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and it is visited by hundreds of thousands of people each year.
- The waterfall is a popular spot for photographers, as it offers unique and stunning photo opportunities.
- The Place of a Thousand Drips is also a popular spot for bird watching, as it is home to a variety of bird species, including woodpeckers, warblers, and hummingbirds.
If you are looking for a unique and beautiful waterfall to visit in Gatlinburg, the Place of a Thousand Drips is a great option. It is easy to get to, and it offers something for everyone, from families to hikers to photographers.