8. Grotto Falls
Grotto Falls is popularly known as “The One You Can Walk-Behind” waterfalls in Gatlinburg ‘ The trail follows directly behind the waterfalls. You get a light mist on your face, but you are not required to remove your shoes.
Grotto Falls is a 25-foot waterfall located in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, just a short drive from Gatlinburg. It is one of the most popular waterfalls in the park, and for good reason. The hike to the falls is relatively easy, and the payoff is a beautiful cascade that visitors can walk behind.
To get to Grotto Falls, start at the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail parking area. From there, follow the Trillium Gap Trail for 1.3 miles. The trail is mostly level, with a few gentle inclines. Along the way, you will pass through an old-growth hemlock forest and cross several streams.
When you reach Grotto Falls, you will be able to see the cascading water from the trail. But to get the best view, you need to walk behind the falls. To do this, follow the trail to the left of the falls. There is a small opening in the rock that you can walk through. Once you are behind the falls, you will be treated to a unique and breathtaking view.
Grotto Falls is a great place to cool off on a hot day, or to simply enjoy the beauty of nature. It is also a good place to take photos, especially if you can get a picture of yourself standing behind the falls.
Here are some additional tips for visiting Grotto Falls:
- The trail to Grotto Falls is open year-round, but the best time to visit is during the spring or summer when the water is flowing most heavily.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing that you don't mind getting wet.
- Bring water and snacks, especially if you are planning on hiking to other waterfalls in the area.
- Be respectful of the wildlife and the natural environment.
- Leave no trace. Pack out all of your trash.
If you are looking for a beautiful and refreshing waterfall hike, Grotto Falls is a great option. It is a perfect activity for families, couples, and solo hikers alike.