17. Richardson Ocean Park
Richardson Ocean Park is a hidden gem on the Big Island of Hawaii, located just north of Hilo. This secluded beach is known for its clear waters, pristine coral reefs, and abundant marine life. It's a popular spot for snorkeling, scuba diving, and stand-up paddleboarding. The park also has a picnic area and restrooms, making it a great place to spend a day relaxing and enjoying the natural beauty of Hawaii.
Here are some of the things you can do at Richardson Ocean Park:
- Snorkel or scuba dive: The waters off of Richardson Ocean Park are home to a variety of marine life, including colorful fish, sea turtles, and even dolphins. The coral reefs are also in good condition, making it a great place to explore the underwater world.
- Stand-up paddleboard: The calm waters and gentle waves make Richardson Ocean Park a perfect place to learn or practice stand-up paddleboarding. There are also several rental shops located nearby.
- Relax on the beach: The beach at Richardson Ocean Park is small but secluded, making it a great place to escape the crowds. There is plenty of shade from the palm trees, and the sand is soft and white.
- Have a picnic: The park has a picnic area with tables and grills, making it a great place to enjoy a meal outdoors. There are also several restaurants located nearby.
Tips for visiting Richardson Ocean Park:
- Go early: The park is not very large, and it can get crowded on weekends and holidays. If you want to avoid the crowds, go early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
- Bring your own snorkel gear: If you plan on snorkeling, it is best to bring your own gear. There are a few rental shops located nearby, but the selection can be limited.
- Be respectful of the marine life: Richardson Ocean Park is home to a variety of marine life, so be sure to be respectful of their environment. Do not touch or feed the animals, and avoid disturbing the coral reefs.
Richardson Ocean Park is a great place to experience the beauty of Hawaii's underwater world. With its clear waters, pristine coral reefs, and abundant marine life, it's a must-visit for any nature lover.