9. Kopiliula Falls
Kopiliula Falls, also known as Wailua Iki Falls, is a hidden gem on Maui's Road to Hana. It's located about 30 miles from Hana, just past mile marker 31. To get to the falls, you'll need to follow a short but challenging trail through the rainforest. The trail is steep and muddy, so be sure to wear sturdy shoes and clothing.
Once you reach the falls, you'll be rewarded with stunning views of cascading water surrounded by lush greenery. The falls are about 100 feet high and have a large pool at the bottom where you can swim and cool off.
Kopiliula Falls is a great place to escape the crowds and enjoy the natural beauty of Maui. Just be sure to be prepared for a bit of a hike to get there.
Here are some additional tips for visiting Kopiliula Falls:
- The best time to visit is in the morning or early afternoon, when the sun is high in the sky and the falls are less likely to be in the shadows.
- Be sure to pack plenty of water and snacks, as the hike can be strenuous.
- Apply sunscreen and insect repellent before you go.
- Wear sturdy shoes with good traction, as the trail can be slippery.
- If you plan on swimming, be sure to bring a swimsuit and towel.
- Leave no trace and pack out all of your trash.
Here are some interesting facts about Kopiliula Falls:
- The name Kopiliula means “two waterfalls” in Hawaiian.
- The falls are fed by the Kopiliula Stream, which originates in the Haleakala National Park.
- Kopiliula Falls is a popular spot for swimming, hiking, and photography.
- The falls are also a sacred place to the Hawaiian people.
If you're looking for a beautiful and secluded waterfall to visit on Maui, Kopiliula Falls is a great option. Just be sure to be prepared for a bit of a hike to get there.