17. Makahiku Falls
Makahiku Falls is a 200-foot horsetail waterfall in Haleakalā National Park on the island of Maui in Hawaii. It runs on the Ohe'o Gulch stream and is accessed by the Pipiwai Trail. The hike to Makahiku Falls is relatively easy, making it a great option for families and people of all fitness levels.
To get to Makahiku Falls, drive to the Pipiwai Trail trailhead in Haleakalā National Park. The trailhead is located just past mile marker 42 on the Road to Hana. Follow the Pipiwai Trail for about 0.5 miles to reach the Makahiku Falls Overlook.
From the overlook, you'll have stunning views of the waterfall cascading down into the lush green valley below. You can also take a short detour to the bottom of the falls for a closer look. However, be aware that the trail to the bottom of the falls can be slippery and muddy, so be sure to wear sturdy shoes.
Makahiku Falls is a beautiful and popular waterfall, so it's best to visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the crowds.
Here are some additional tips for visiting Makahiku Falls:
- Bring plenty of water and snacks, as the hike to the falls can be strenuous, especially in the heat of the day.
- Wear comfortable shoes with good traction, as the trail can be slippery and muddy.
- Be respectful of the natural environment and pack out all of your trash.
- If you're swimming at the bottom of the falls, be aware that the water can be cold and the currents can be strong.
Here are some interesting facts about Makahiku Falls:
- Makahiku Falls is named after the Hawaiian word for “seven sacred pools.”
- The falls are located in the Kipahulu District of Haleakalā National Park, which is home to some of the most stunning scenery on Maui.
- Makahiku Falls is a popular filming location for movies and TV shows, and has been featured in productions such as “Jurassic World” and “Lost.”
Why you should visit Makahiku Falls:
- Makahiku Falls is one of the most beautiful and iconic waterfalls on Maui.
- The hike to the falls is relatively easy, making it a great option for families and people of all fitness levels.
- The falls are located in a lush and serene setting, making them the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Makahiku Falls is a great place to take photos and create lasting memories of your trip to Maui.