We've compiled a list of the most gorgeous Waterfalls in Ithaca, New York, for you to visit during your stay.
Ithaca and its environs were literally carved out millions of years ago by glaciers creating gorges.
Ithaca is the place to go if you want to see some of the nicest waterfalls in New York. And, maybe most importantly, the finest news of them all? Due to the near proximity of these waterfalls, you may view a whole bunch in a single weekend!
If you walk up to Cornell University, down to the Ithaca Commons, or into one of the state parks, you are certain to come upon one of Ithaca's enormous waterfalls.
Exit Ithaca and the nearby towns of Tompkins County also include some incredible hidden jewels that will provide the ideal setting for that oh-so-desired snapshot.
From New York City to Niagara Falls, what is the best way to get there? Ithaca is the ideal location to stop along the road and see some more amazing waterfalls while also getting a good night's rest at one of the numerous local hotels.
Whether you want a quick view from the roadside or enjoy the thought of a decent climb to see the falls, Ithaca has the experience you're searching for. Consider the following waterfalls and begin arranging your New York waterfall road trip today!
16 Stunning Waterfalls in Ithaca Worth Exploring
Here's the list of 16 Stunning Waterfalls in Ithaca Worth Exploring
16. Taughannock Falls
Taughannock Falls is the tallest single-drop waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains, with a plunge of 215 feet (66 meters). It is located in Taughannock Falls State Park, just a short drive from Ithaca, New York. The waterfall is a popular tourist destination, and for good reason. It is a truly awe-inspiring sight to see the water cascading down the cliff face into the gorge below.
There are several ways to experience Taughannock Falls. The easiest way is to take the Gorge Trail, which is a short and easy hike to the base of the falls. From here, you can get up close and personal with the waterfall and feel the spray on your face. If you are feeling more adventurous, you can hike the North Rim Trail or the South Rim Trail. These trails offer stunning views of the falls from above.
No matter how you choose to experience Taughannock Falls, it is sure to be a memorable experience. The waterfall is especially beautiful in the spring and fall, when the leaves are changing color.
Here are some additional details about Taughannock Falls:
- The falls were formed by Taughannock Creek, which flows through a long gorge with cliffs up to 400 feet (120 meters) high.
- The name “Taughannock” comes from the Algonquian language and means “at the great falls.”
- The falls are a popular spot for swimming, hiking, and picnicking. There is also a campground located in the park.
- Taughannock Falls is a popular destination for weddings and other special events.
- The falls have been featured in several movies and television shows, including “The Last of the Mohicans” and “The Blacklist.”
Here are some tips for visiting Taughannock Falls:
- The best time to visit is during the spring or fall, when the weather is mild and the leaves are changing color.
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be doing some walking.
- Bring water and snacks, especially if you are planning on hiking one of the rim trails.
- Be careful when taking pictures near the edge of the gorge.
- If you are visiting during the summer months, be aware that the falls can be crowded.