The proximity of Virginia's beaches to densely populated areas drew vacationers to the state long before air travel became so common.
On weekends, during spring break, and during the summer months, crowds frequently gather at the more popular beaches. You can find tranquility if you seek it, as the smell of the sea adds to the enjoyment of feeling the sand between your toes.
Now, if you're looking for ideas on where to go to relax on the beach, check out this list of the 19 best beaches in Virginia.
19 Best Beaches in Virginia
Our list of the best beaches in Virginia will help you find the best places to visit for a day in the sun.
1. Colonial Beach, Westmoreland County
Colonial Beach is a charming seaside town located on the Potomac River in Westmoreland County, Virginia. It is known for its wide, sandy beaches, calm waters, and family-friendly atmosphere. Visitors can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, fishing, crabbing, and kayaking in the Chesapeake Bay. There are also a number of restaurants, shops, and attractions in town, making it a great place to spend a day or a weekend.
Things to do in Colonial Beach:
- Visit the Colonial Beach Town Pier, which offers stunning views of the Potomac River.
- Take a walk or bike ride on the Colonial Beach Boardwalk.
- Explore the shops and restaurants in town.
- Visit the Colonial Beach Museum, which tells the story of the town's history.
- Go swimming, sunbathing, fishing, crabbing, or kayaking in the Chesapeake Bay.
Here are some additional details about Colonial Beach:
- Location: Westmoreland County, Virginia
- Distance from Washington, D.C.: About 90 miles
- Population: 3,071 (as of 2020)
- Beach type: Sandy beach
- Water quality: Good
- Amenities: Lifeguards, restrooms, showers, picnic tables, playground
Colonial Beach is a great place to relax and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. It is a perfect destination for a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or a weekend trip with friends.
Here are some additional tips for planning your trip to Colonial Beach:
- The best time to visit Colonial Beach is during the summer months, when the weather is warm and sunny.
- There are a number of hotels and motels in Colonial Beach, as well as a number of vacation rentals.
- There are a number of restaurants in Colonial Beach, serving a variety of cuisines.
- Colonial Beach is a great place to go shopping, with a variety of stores selling everything from clothes and souvenirs to antiques and collectibles.
- There are a number of attractions in Colonial Beach, including the Colonial Beach Town Pier, the Colonial Beach Boardwalk, and the Colonial Beach Museum.
Read also: The 10 Private Beaches in Virginia