Welcome to this blog post on “13 Clear Water Beaches in Alabama.” Alabama Gulf Shores are a standout among beaches, known for their pristine white sands, welcoming family atmosphere, abundant wildlife, and great weather most of the year. This makes it a highly sought-after beach destination in the United States.
Although it faces competition from nearby Florida beaches, Alabama's “sugar-white” sands and high-quality surf draw vacationers looking for a relaxing beach experience. In addition to swimming, the area offers a variety of water sports, including surfing, parasailing, diving, and Jet Ski dolphin tours.
With plenty of luxurious resorts to choose from, you can easily extend your beach vacation with a golf or spa break when you need a break from the sun. Be sure to check out my list of the best clear water beaches in Alabama before planning your next sand and sea getaway.
Before we proceed, why not check out our previous post on 21 Clear Water Beaches in Massachusetts. I believe you will find it interesting.
Read also: 30 Clear Water Beaches in the US
Clear Water Beaches in Alabama
Even though Alabama's coastline isn't very long, it has beautiful beaches where the sand is clean and the ocean is clear. Visit these places to find the most beautiful, clear water beaches in Alabama where you can spend your vacation days.
13. Fort Morgan Beach — Gulf Shores
One of the best clear water beaches in Albama, Fort Morgan is a unique and secluded beach located 20 miles from Gulf Shores, surrounded by a historic fort that was active during several wars, including the Civil War. Though it's farther from downtown, the scenic drive and private beach make it worth the visit.
Fort Morgan beach, less than an hour from Gulf Shores, offers a quiet alternative to crowded public beaches. Although, it is not really used as a public beach, you can access it by paying the entry fee to the Fort complex for a combination of history and beach time.
This area is part of the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge, offering opportunities to spot various species of birds and animals. Stay at Gulf Shores Plantation for easy beach access or visit for the day using public access points.
Here are some of the things you can do at Fort Morgan Beach:
- Swim and sunbathe: The clear water and soft sand make Fort Morgan Beach a perfect place to swim, sunbathe, and build sandcastles.
- Fish: Fort Morgan Beach is a popular spot for fishing, both from shore and from boats. You can catch a variety of fish in the Gulf of Mexico, including flounder, redfish, and trout.
- Birdwatch: Fort Morgan Beach is located on the Gulf Coast Migratory Bird Trail, making it a great place to see birds of all kinds. You can see pelicans, herons, egrets, and more.
- Explore the Fort Morgan Historic Site: Fort Morgan is a historic Civil War fort located next to the beach. You can tour the fort, learn about its history, and see the cannons that were used to defend the Gulf Coast.
- Visit the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge: The Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge is located just east of Fort Morgan Beach. The refuge is home to a variety of wildlife, including sea turtles, shorebirds, and alligators. You can hike, bike, and fish in the refuge.
Here are some tips for visiting Fort Morgan Beach:
- The best time to visit Fort Morgan Beach is during the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) when the weather is mild and the crowds are smaller.
- If you're visiting during the summer, be sure to arrive early in the morning to avoid the crowds.
- Bring sunscreen, insect repellent, and plenty of water.
- There are restrooms and showers available at the Fort Morgan Historic Site.
- Pets are allowed on Fort Morgan Beach, but they must be kept on a leash.
Overall, Fort Morgan Beach is a beautiful and relaxing place to visit. With its pristine sand, clear water, and abundance of wildlife, it's no wonder that Fort Morgan Beach is one of Alabama's best-kept secrets.