Virginia's beautiful coastline and waterfront attractions are ideal for a getaway at any time of year. However, the busy season, traffic, and crowds might be a deterrent to our vacation planning at times.
With that in mind, we've created a road trip that covers several of the private beaches in Virginia to ensure you have the beach to yourself—or at least without big crowds.
These overlooked spots, in our humble view, may be some of the best beaches in Virginia. So load up the car with sunscreen, towels, and plenty of excellent music, and prepare to admire Virginia like you've never seen it before!
Private Beaches In Virginia
These secluded beaches in Virginia will have you coming back for more sun, sand and surf.
1. Sandbridge Beach, Virginia Beach, VA
Located in the southernmost part of Virginia Beach, Sandbridge is a secluded beach hideaway with over five miles of pristine sand dunes and dancing sea oats. It's a popular spot for families and couples looking for a relaxing and peaceful beach vacation.
Sandbridge Beach is a public beach, but it feels much more private than some of the other beaches in Virginia Beach. This is because it's located off the beaten path and doesn't have the same level of development as some of the other beaches in the area.
There are a few different public access points to Sandbridge Beach, but one of the most popular is at Sandbridge Beach Park. This park has a large parking lot, restrooms, and showers. It also has a boardwalk that leads to the beach.
Another popular public access point is at Little Island Park. This park has a small parking lot, but it also has a pier and a fishing area. It's a great spot for families with young children.
In addition to the public access points, there are also a number of private beaches in Sandbridge. These beaches are typically located in front of private homes and condominiums. If you're staying in a private rental, you may have access to a private beach.
Here are some of the things you can do at Sandbridge Beach:
- Swim in the Atlantic Ocean
- Sunbathe on the beach
- Build sandcastles
- Play beach volleyball
- Go for a walk or jog on the beach
- Fish from the pier at Little Island Park
- Kayak or canoe in Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge
- Hike the trails in False Cape State Park
- Visit the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center
- Have a picnic at Sandbridge Beach Park
If you're looking for a private beach vacation in Virginia, Sandbridge Beach is a great option. It's a beautiful and secluded beach with a variety of activities to enjoy.
Here are some tips for planning your trip to Sandbridge Beach:
- The best time to visit Sandbridge Beach is during the summer months, when the weather is warm and sunny. However, the beach is also beautiful in the spring and fall.
- If you're planning on visiting during the summer, be sure to book your accommodations well in advance, as Sandbridge Beach is a popular vacation destination.
- If you're staying in a private rental, be sure to ask if you have access to a private beach.
- Be sure to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- If you're planning on swimming, be sure to check the rip currents forecast before heading to the beach.
- Be sure to leave the beach cleaner than you found it.